Resources for Website Design
The Resources for Website Design section contains links to many of the sites I have used in learning website design and sites I use in designing and maintaining my sites currently. Do you know of any good articles, tutorials, tips, or other resources that might be helpful. Please feel free to submit your recommendation to be included on this Resource page.
Responsible Computer Use
Martha Bagwell has some excellent advice for Responsible Computer Use.
Web Design in General
- THE DO'S AND DON'TS OF WEB DESIGN IN 3 PARTS
- Google Information for Webmasters - Following these guidelines will help Google find, index, and rank your site. Even if you choose not to implement any of these suggestions, we strongly encourage you to pay very close attention to the "Quality Guidelines," which outline some of the illicit practices that may lead to a site being removed entirely from the Google index.
- Quality Tips for Webmasters - Short, simple bits of knowledge for better Web design, authoring, and use, on quality issues related to W3C technologies such as HTML, CSS, HTTP.
- Web Style Guide - 2nd edition. This is the online version of the book by the same name.
- Web Design Made Simple - tutorials for the beginning web designer.
- Basic Guide to Web Design - There are many elements to web design. Among the most important are the layout and navigation, the text styling, colors, and images. This article contains a number of links to further your study of basic web deisgn.
HTML Coding - Hypertext Markup Language
- HTML Document Structure
- HTML Cheat sheet
- A Bare Bones Guide to HTML - The Bare Bones Guide to HTML lists every official HTML tag in common usage, plus Netscape and Microsoft extensions. Version 4.0 of the Guide is designed to conform to the HTML 4.0 specification. For official information on the development of HTML, see the World Wide Web Consortium's HTML activity statement.
- HTML Basic Tutor - This is a website targeting small business owners, beginner web designers and hobbyist web site owners. The theme of the site is to promote good web design practices and coding by implementing the recommendations of the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) in a fashion that a person with little or no knowledge of web design can learn from. Each HTML tutorial is written with the HTML beginner in mind. Currently, HTML Basic Tutor is actively involved in the Website Development Training yahoo group, where HTML lessons written by S.R. Emerson are posted.
- HTML Code Tutorials - Free Reference Guide for Help with HTML Tags Including Form, Frames, Tables, and more!
- HTML Dog - Very useful HTML and CSS tutorial place, teaching You everything step by step - best practices, standards and code with “easy to understand” example.
- HTML Goodies - HTML Goodies intended purpose is to help new and growing website developers learn their trade, and to provide them with tips, guides and reference sets for their use.
- Is you are using MS Word to building your web pages read the following articles
XHTML - EXtensible HyperText Markup Language
- XHTML Tutorial - XHTML is a stricter and cleaner version of HTML.
- HTML Tidy - Tidy can correct the markup in a way that matches where possible the observed rendering in popular browsers from Netscape and Microsoft. Here are just a few examples of how TIDY perfects your HTML for you. NOTE: I have not yet used this program.
- Learn CSS - W3Schools learning CSS.
- style master css tutorial
- Introduction to CSS
- CSS Tutorial Part 1
- CSS Tutorial Part 2
- CSS Tutorial Part 3
- CSS and images
- CSS in webpages
- CSS Play
- Style Sheet Generators
- External Style Sheets and RootsWeb WorldConnect
- Tutorials from Tina Clarke
- CSS Based Menus
- Additional Style Sheet Resources
- Need help picking Colors??
- A Tutorial For Getting Graphics Onto Your Web Pages
- FREE programs for graphics
- Easy Thumbnails - Easy Thumbnails is a popular free utility for creating accurate thumbnail images and scaled-down/up copies from a wide range of popular picture formats. By the makers of NoteTab and NoteTab Lite.
- A Smaller Image - With the intuitive, single-screen interface of A Smaller Image, reducing digital photos is a really easy. Select the output size and pick just the right part of a picture to keep. NOTE: This program is no longer free.
Layouts and Templates
Need a good source for layouts to get you started? Try any of the listings below. Remember, when just starting out - simple is better. Some of the templates may require a link back to the designer's site.
- Open Source Templates
- Mollio CSS/HTML Templates
- Free CSS Based Layout Templates by Pat Geary
- Expression Web Dynamic Web Templates select Templates from the top menu.
- Free DWT's by Cheryl Wise
Search Engine Optimization Techniques
SEO is an acronym for "search engine optimization" or "search engine optimizer."
- Web Developer Toolbars - If you are a developer of web pages, then one of the indispensible tools you can use is the web developer toolbar. There is one available for Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Opera. I also use the Web Accessibility Toolbar and the Link Checker for Firefox.
Web Authoring Software
Here are just a few of the web authoring software listings found by searching the web. Check out Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide!
Expression Web is the successor for FrontPage and is the web editor I am currently using. Build your Web sites your way. Microsoft® Expression® Web gives you all the tools you'll need to produce high-quality, standards-based Web sites the way you want them. Take advantage of the best of dynamic Web site design, enabling you to design, develop, and maintain exceptional standards-based Web sites. Expression Web Tutorials and Templates. As of Dec 20, 2012, Expression Web is available as a FREE download.
The CoffeeCup Free HTML Editor is a full-featured Web design system. With built-in FTP uploading, wizards for tables, frames, fonts, and more, and 100% valid code output, it's a great tool for anyone who wants to design their own Website.
Araneae (pronounced ah-RAN-ee-ay) is a simple, yet powerful text editor, providing only the features necessary to create websites and scripts using the latest web technologies. Best of all, Araneae is absolutely free for non-commercial use. Use it as long as you like for your personal projects.
KompoZer is Nvu's unofficial bug-fix release and is a complete web authoring system that combines web file management and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing. KompoZer is designed to be extremely easy to use, making it ideal for non-technical computer users who want to create an attractive, professional-looking web site without needing to know HTML or web coding. NOTE: I have removed NVU from the list as it is not being updated.
NoteTab Light - Freeware. A slimmed down version of NoteTab Pro. This is a NotePad replacement and a capable HTML editor. You select tags from a menu of icons. much as you would in a word processor.
Html Kit - Here's a freeware HTML editor that's aimed at advanced Web designers. You can use HTML-Kit to create, edit, validate, preview and publish Web pages and scripts. It offers loads of features including hundreds of free plugins and built-in FTP support.
Last version is dated 2006.
Arachnophilia - Arachnophilia is an outstanding Web editor, bursting with features. It'll import fully formatted text, tables, and outlines from any Windows-compliant application and automatically convert it to HTML. It also has built-in FTP capabilities that can automatically upload files (although it can't delete files, like a true FTP client can). Powerful keyboard macros can include system commands---even other macros, for maximum flexibility. (For Windows) NOTE: I have used this program in the past.
BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox 4, it's a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards. It's free to download (current stable version is 1.1.1) and is available on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. BlueGriffon is available in English, Dutch, French, Czech, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish and Traditional Chinese.
Bluefish is a powerful editor targeted towards programmers and webdevelopers, with many options to write websites, scripts and programming code. Bluefish supports many programming and markup languages. See features for an extensive overview, take a look at the screenshots, or download it right away. Bluefish is an open source development project, released under the GNU GPL licence.
Expression Web is Microsoft's web editor that replaces FrontPage. It creates standards-based Web sites more quickly and easily and is now available for free download. Expression Web Free Edition. It is a professional level web editor and expects you to know the basics of writing html and css BEFORE you start using it.
If you use Expression Web to design and maintain your website, the following resources will proved helpful:
- Expression Web Tutorials & Templates
- Expression Web Tips
- Expression Web Help
- Expression Web Blog
- By Expression Tutorials
FrontPage is a Microsoft product. While it can create bloated code - as can any editor if not used wisely - it will produce cleanly coded pages that will validate if you know which features to avoid.
If you use FrontPage to design and maintain your website, the following resources will proved helpful:
- FrontPage Ezine
- FrontPage Ebooks
- FrontPage Addons
- FrontPage Tips
- FrontPage and Expression Web Blog
- FrontPage Advice Blog
- FrontPage Tutorials
- Backing Up A FrontPage Web