Photo Galleries - FrontPage Photo Galleries
Many of us who use FrontPage to design and maintain our genealogy sites, want to add a photo gallery. There are a number of ways to do this. I could use FrontPage to create a gallery. But I prefer to maintain total control over the way my pages look so I have been using a table layout for the pictures and styling the captions with my external css. I create the thumbnail images to use on the page then hyperlink them to the larger images. I add an <alt> tag to all images and the <title> tag to the hyperlinks. Some examples - links will open in new window:
Screen shot of code for one picture gallery created using the FrontPage Photo Gallery component
Screen shot of code for one picture gallery using a table based layout with css styling.
Using the FrontPage Photo Gallery Feature
FrontPage 2002 and 2003 contain a feature called the Photo Gallery which offers a simple and effective way to display images on a webpage. FrontPage lets you easily add and order photos in the Photo Gallery. You can resize and crop them, change their orientation and add captions and descriptions. The program not only automatically creates thumbnail versions of your images, it lets you select any of four different Gallery layouts. Adding <alt> tags and <title> tags for the hyperlinks is NOT so easy. Just a few of the tutorials I have found.
- Microsoft FrontPage Photo Gallery Tutorial - The Photo Gallery component is included in Front Page 2002/2003 - with the help of a Wizard, various layouts can be accomplished. The following pages will attempt to show you how to use this component - from the preparation required to customization of both thumbnail page and larger image displays.
- The FrontPage Photo Gallery By Gail Bjork
- The FrontPage Pictures Toolbar By Gail Bjork
- How to create a FrontPage Photo Gallery - Troubleshooting graphics in FrontPage 2002 Photogallery By Tina Clarke
- How to customize your photo gallery in FrontPage 2003 By Microsoft - This article discusses how to customize the appearance of your photo gallery by using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003.
- Fine tuning Photo Gallery layouts
- FP Techniques > The FrontPage Photo Gallery Part I
- FP Techniques > The FrontPage Photo Gallery Part II
- Visual Appeal In Website Design - This article was originally published in the July 2003 issue of AnyFrontPage Bytes. It's an informative tutorial, written to assist new FP2002 users with the use of graphics and visual appeal in website design.
- Image captions on Web pages (HTML and CSS techniques)
Programs for Creating Thumbnails
- A Smaller Image 2.0 SE - Digital photos from scanners and digital cameras are too big for emailing or publishing on the Web. With the one-screen interface of A Smaller Image reducing digital photos is easy. Select the output size and pick just the right part of a picture to keep.
- Easy Thumbnails - Easy Thumbnails is a popular free utility for creating accurate thumbnail images and scaled-down/up copies from a wide range of popular picture formats.